Re: goals for 3.1

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: goals for 3.1
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:06:53 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
>    1. Objects:
>         -- Merge object-branch
>         -- Implementation of superiorto/inferiorto
>         -- Operator overloading vs. constant folding

I suppose that now that this code is in Octave the use of dispatch
should be discouraged, within the core of Octave at least. Though
dispatch itself is useful so I'd hate to see it go away. The only code
within Octave itself that uses dispatch is within the DLD-FUNCTIONS code
sparse.cc, splu.cc, spchol.cc, spdet.cc, spfind.cc and spqr.cc. That is
entirely the sparse code. However, for matlab compatibility the sparse
type is of the class "double/bool" and there is no indication of its
sparse nature within the class itself, and so the new object code can
dispatch to a sparse type basedon its class.

Therefore, should all of the sparse dispatch code be merged with the
corresponding functions in the same manner as spkron recently was? Or
are we happy to leave the dispatched sparse functions as is?

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only