Re: [OctDev] listing functions in a package

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: [OctDev] listing functions in a package
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:40:44 -0500

On 19-Feb-2008, c. wrote:

| On 18/feb/08, at 15:25, c. wrote:
|
| > Looking at the INDEX for the signal package I also see lines like:
| >
| > arcov= use <code>ar_covar</code> $SPCTOOLS
| >
| > I was not aware that such things were possible...
| > I see this syntax is explained in the comments to main/INDEX while it
| > is not
| > on the octave-forge website (wouldn't it be worth adding at least a
| > reference
| > to this syntax specification on http://octave.sourceforge.net/
| > developers.html ?).
|
| Patch to the manual to address this.
| c.
|
| diff -r 630ddf983154 -r 45eecfa64492 doc/interpreter/package.txi
| --- a/doc/interpreter/package.txi     Tue Feb 19 12:27:23 2008 +0000
| +++ b/doc/interpreter/package.txi     Tue Feb 19 12:47:21 2008 +0000

Are you using mercurial to generate these diffs?  If so, please send
hg changsets (created with "hg export") rather than simple diffs as I
am able to handle those faster than simple diffs.

| +If you wish to refer to a function that users might expect
| +to find in your package but is not there, providing a work around or
| +ponting out that  the function is available elsewhere, you can use:
| address@hidden
| +fn = workaround description
| address@hidden example
| +This workaround description will not appear when listing functions in the
| +package with @code{pkg describe} but they will be published

Makeinfo will format the above as

[...] the function is available elsewhere, you can use:
     fn = workaround description
   This workaround description will not appear when listing [...]

To format it properly, you should write

  ponting out that  the function is available elsewhere, you can use:

  @example
  fn = workaround description
  @end example

  @noindent
  This workaround description will not appear when listing functions in the

| +E.g.,

Please write "For example," instead of "E.g.".

Thanks,