24-bit data type (was:RE: 24-bit wav files and other observations )

From: Schirmacher, Rolf
Subject: 24-bit data type (was:RE: 24-bit wav files and other observations )
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:51:36 +0100

I would like to advocat the idea of int24. The main reason is not because it
is a native format for general-purpose systems. But is is actually going to
be one of the most relevant audio formats with 24 bit A/D and D/A converters
replacing the 16 bit converters for the higher qualities (and thus the 24
bit .wav format get more popular...) and whole DSP series are using 24 bit
as native format (e.g. Motorola/Freescale DSP 56xxx) to allow high dynamic
range calculations for 16 bit I/O-data without scaling concers (e.g. at
filtering). As one of the most interesting applicatoins of the fixed int and
uint data types is modelling the behaviour of integer processors (i.e. of
calculations performed on them), having an int24 would be quite interesting,
e.g. for modelling filter calculations of audio data / DSP operations.

Rolf