Re: Octave and GSOC'2008

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave and GSOC'2008
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 18:16:44 +0100

tir, 26 02 2008 kl. 11:45 -0500, skrev John Swensen:
> On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> >
> > 1) Make a list of suggested projects.
> > 2) Do the paper work to actually apply.
> >
> > So, it doesn't seem like that much work...
> >
> > Søren
> >

> I have a suggestion for a project idea, based on previous mailing list
> postings.  A while back, Muthiah Annamalai suggested using LLVM to
> implement JIT for Octave.  John Eaton commented how it would be a big
> project, mostly due to type inferencing.  I was wondering if it would
> be a reasonable as a project for GSOC to integrate LLVM in a very
> limited sense, i.e. only providing JIT for integer indexed loops.
> While this may seem like a very limited use of LLVM, it would probably
> provide key insights into how something like LLVM could be integrated
> more fully into Octave, and it seems like a project that could be
> completed in a summer's worth of work.
I agree, this is a good candidate for a GSOC project. Also because this
is an area where most (all?) people on already associated with Octave
lack knowledge, so we could use some fresh blood :-)

Other projects could be

*) Improve the debugger.
*) Develop a graphical interface for Octave.
*) Implement the OpenGL plotting backend.

But let's not get ahead of our self. Should Octave even apply for GSOC?
It will be some work, with a (I think) pretty high chance of not being
selected.

Søren