Re: Octave and GSOC'2008

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave and GSOC'2008
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 05:19:03 -0500

On 26-Feb-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| So which projects should we suggest? I think we'll need 3 or 4 projects.

Whatever projects you suggest, please keep in mind that these are
student summer projects, so the scope should be small enough that
someone can actually complete the project in a short time.  I think it
would be much better to have a few small successes than to reach for
something really big (JIT?!?) and almost certainly have it fail
because the project is too large.

Instead of focusing on Octave internals, which are generally
considered to be fairly complex based on the feedback I typically see
from Octave users, perhaps it would make more sense to think about
what missing functions there are that could be implemented by a
student.  Many of these could be done with .m files and so wouldn't
require a detailed understanding of the Octave internals to write.