grid lines for surface plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: grid lines for surface plots
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:44:40 -0500

On 28-Feb-2008, Kai Habel wrote:

| So, my question - is there a special reason to use "set hidden3d;" in
| case of pm3d plots?

Probably not.  It seems more likely that we didn't understand all the
twisty little rules.  If you want hidden line removal, or the
equivalent idea of an opaque surface, then setting the hidden3d
option seems reasonable and was what always worked before.  Also, that
option was there before the use of pm3d, so I guess whoever changed
Octave to use pm3d didn't notice that the hidden3d option was used, or
didn't know that it would cause this problem.

| If not, I could prepare a patch to change the
| current behavior to plot the grid lines behind the surface.

Please do.

Thanks,