copyright question

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: copyright question
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:58:58 -0700

I have written some data smoothing code that borrows heavily from code published as supplemental information in Analytical Chemistry, an ACS journal. I would like to submit my code to Octave (as part of a package in octave-forge). Here is what the ACS website says about the copyright:

"Electronic Supporting Information files are available without a subscription to ACS Web Editions. All files are copyrighted by the American Chemical Society. Files may be downloaded for personal use; users are not permitted to reproduce, republish, redistribute, or resell any Supporting Information, either in whole or in part, in either machine-readable form or any other form. For permission to reproduce this material, contact the ACS Copyright Office by e-mail at address@hidden or by fax at 202-776-8112."

I plan to email ACS about this, but is there a suggested way to ask permission? My thought is to GPL my code submission and cite the publication. Do you think ACS will allow this, or should I ask for something else?

Thanks,
Jonathan