The problem of file separator of mingw octave on Japanese windows. Re: 3

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: The problem of file separator of mingw octave on Japanese windows. Re: 3.0.1 release?
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 03:10:41 -0500

http://www.nabble.com/dirty-but-most-simple-method-by-which-pkg-install-will-be-successful-in-mingw-octave-tt13619782.html#a13619782

| I have still been using the modified filesep='/' in dirfcns.cc
| Because pkg install does not work in my system wihout it
| ***********************************************************
| octave.exe:4> pkg install -local -verbose io-1.0.3.tar.gz
| cp: missing destination file
| Try `cp --help' for more information.
| mkdir (C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
| untar (io-1.0.3.tar.gz, C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
| make: Entering directory `/tmp/oct-2/io-1.0.3/src'
| mkoctfile dlmread.cc
| mkoctfile textread.cc
| make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-2/io-1.0.3/src'
| warning: package io is empty
| *************************************************************
|
| mkdir (C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
| untar (io-1.0.3.tar.gz, C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2)
|
| In my msys sytem (perhaps in the msys in Japanese windows),
| the files separator '\' should be used with
|
| mkdir "C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\oct-2"
| or
| mkdir C:/DOCUME~1/Tatsu/LOCALS~1/Temp\\oct-2
|
| is able to work.
|
| I think that the former is better as patch.
| I have ever considered the patch but I have never find where should be
modified.

| Please give me advises.
|

| In my speculation, the above prblem is Japanese windows specific problem.
| Please see the following in the prevous threads
| ******************
| In Japanese windows, we use Chinese and Japanese charactors (Kanji
charactors).
| Japanese windows have the shift-jis kanji code.
|
| A shift-jis kanji code consist of 2 bytes.  The first byte code is larger
than 80(HEX).
| But second byte is not always larger than 80(HEX) and some kanji uses
5C(HEX).
| The 5C(HEX) is the code of '\'.
| The facts make Jananese kanji code treatment very complex.
|
| I do not know the trouble comes from the above.
| But the treatment of the seperator may be complex for Japanese system.
|
| The above is only speculation.
| That's why I don't have english windows.
|
| I think this is a good chance to kick out this problem.

I don't know how to solve this problem, and I don't think I can accept
a patch that changes the default directory separator character for
Windows to be a forward slash "/" character.