No menu in FAQ on the web

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: No menu in FAQ on the web
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:29:23 -0400

On 21-Mar-2008, Søren Hauberg wrote:

|   The on-line FAQ (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/FAQ.html) doesn't
| look like the rest of the pages on the web (no menu). Is the FAQ
| generated in some way, that makes this hard? The CVS contains FAQ.html,
| and it doesn't look like it's generated from some other source. If this
| is true, why not use the m4 preprocessing system that generates the rest
| of the web pages? Attached is a simple conversion of the html file to
| a .in file. Also, I've attached a small change to the Makefile to
| reflect this new .in file.

The FAQ sources are in the Octave sources, in
doc/faq/Octave-FAQ.texi.  So yes, it is generated from the Texinfo
source file.  Having it in Texinfo is nice because it is possible to
generate a number of different output formats (PS, PDF, HTML, Info,
etc.).  I guess I wouldn't want to give up those options without a
good reason.  It should be possible to have the HTML version on the
web generated so that it uses the same css file that is used by the
rest of Octave web site.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the
navigation menu in there, but a simple m4 wrapper might do the trick.
If you want to help with the web pages, send me your savannah login id
and I'll add you to the list of people who can edit the web site
sources.