Multiline labels in graphics

From: Moritz Borgmann
Subject: Multiline labels in graphics
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 02:21:14 +0100

MATLAB allows to specify cell arrays as arguments to title, xlabel, etc. The elements of the cell array will then be displayed on multiple lines. Octave doesn't accept cell arrays, unfortunately.

I tried to patch Octave to support cell arrays; the attached rudimentary patch works in principle, but has a problem: with enhanced text terminals, the warnings

enhanced text mode parser - ignoring spurious }
enhanced text mode parser - ignoring spurious }

from Gnuplot are dumped. I assume that the graphics code implicitly assumes there's no newlines in the texts.

Does somebody with better knowledge of the graphics code have a clue what's going on, and even better, find a way how to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Moritz