Re: missing el_div and el_ldiv operators for integer types

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: missing el_div and el_ldiv operators for integer types
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:58:02 -0400

On 23-Mar-2008, Moritz Borgmann wrote:

| >| Opps, I accidentally did it in two changesets.. You need both the
| >| previous changeset and the attached one.
| >
| >I applied these changesets as one.  That was fairly easy to do using
| >Mercurial Queues.  Just for the record, here's what I did:
| >
| >   hg qimport patch7785    # put the 2nd patch on the top of the queue
| >   hg qimport patch7784    # put the 1st patch on the top of the queue
| >   hg qpush                # applies patch7784 from top of patch queue
| >   hg qfold patch7785      # merges patch7785 with the applied patch
| >
| >   ## hand edit sources to fix ChangeLog files
| >
| >   hg qrefresh             # refresh patch with edits
| >   hg qdelete -r qtip      # finish
| >   hg push                 # push changes to public archive
|
| Interesting. Im wondering though how you apply patches to both the
| default and the release-3-0-x branch? Do you simply repeat above
| procedures for both branches?

That would work, but instead I do something like the following.

First, in the directory where I have the main development branch I
include the patches (the steps quoted above).  Then I export the
changes so I can apply them to another branch:

  hg export tip > /tmp/diffs

Next I cd to the directory where I have the 3.0 branch and run

  hg qimport /tmp/diffs
  hg qpush

  ## hand edit to fix any problems (usually just ChangeLog files, but
  ## possibly more if the branches have diverged much)

  hg qrefresh
  hg qdelete -r qtip
  hg qpush

Perhaps there is a better way, but this works OK for me.

Given that I'm keeping separate directories for the two branches, I'm
not sure that I will use named branches in the future as I don't see
that it helps all that much.

| I've felt the urge sometimes to apply changesets that were done on
| one named branch to another. Simply merging is not appropriate, since
| merging in hg speak means to merge the changeset in question together
| with all its ancestors. Technically, I think this problem is called
| cherrypicking.
|
| How do you solve this? I'm not sure I'm doing things right as a
| fairly new hg user.

I'm new at this too.  All I can say is that the above works OK for me.
I don't know whether it is the best way to work.

| I've got numerous named branches (off of
| release-3-0-x), essentially one for every patch and one for the
| production octave I use (which is usually release-3-0-x head plus a
| couple custom patches). Now say I want to apply certain patches to
| the default branch, how would I go about it?

I'd probably use Mercurial Queues to manage the custom patches.  There
is some information on the web about using them.  I think what you
want to do if you have custom patches is to apply them, work with
your modified version.  When you decided to pull from the "master"
sources, you first pop off all your patches, pull from the master
archive, then push your patches again, fixing any conflicts that show
up.  That seems like a reasonable way to keep custom patches up to
date and still have your sources tracking the master archive.