Re: Changing octave to exploit multi-core hardware

From: Leonardo Ecco
Subject: Re: Changing octave to exploit multi-core hardware
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:56:00 -0300

Thanks Michael,

I'll investigate the options and try to write some code...

L.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:44 AM, Michael Creel <address@hidden> wrote:

Leonardo Ecco wrote:

> Hi,
>
> have you guys considered modifying the gnu octave code in order to take
> advantage of multi-core hardware? I'm a graduate student in computer
> science, and i'm currently taking a course on multi-core systems - our
> final
> project is to select an open source software and change it to exploit
> parallelism. I'd like to know if there is someone already working on this
> issue. If not, i plan to start next week.

There are several options for using multiple cores, including linking to a
threaded linear algebra library, and directly using MPI. I find that using
MPI works very well, by way of the MPITB package. One nice side effect is
that the code is portable to a cluster.
M.