Re: Implementation of convn

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Implementation of convn
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:02:18 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:

> I also see private functions as a way to avoid exporting to all users
> some functionality that may not have a guaranteed interface.  If the
> function is private, I assume that I'm free to change the way it
> works, change the interface or even remove it completely without
> having to worry about breaking code outside of the functions that have
> access to the private function.  If everyone has access, then why
> bother with private functions at all?

However private directories can't stop the user copying the file from
the private directory to their home directory and using it in any case.
So it can't guarantee that. At some point you have to rely on the user
not to do something stupid.. Its just our responsibility to document the
functionality so that they have the resources to find out what is stupid...

D.