Re: "unset ytics" in gnuplot 4.2.3 mirrored tics drawn

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: "unset ytics" in gnuplot 4.2.3 mirrored tics drawn
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:00:10 +0200

Petr Mikulik wrote:
>>> BTW, how is it possible to do
>>>     "set cbtics out nomirror"
>>> from Octave 3.x? I often like to use this for nice prints.
>>>

>> Errr, at the moment the support code to do that is not in place.. It
>> wouldn't be difficult to add it though.
>>

> At least the "in|out" property would be nice, as some plots (e.g. dark
> images) obscure black tic lines.

Thinking about this further, its not easy to implement. In Matlab the
colorbar is an entirely separate set of axes on a figure. Therefore in
matlab its in fact possible to have multiple colorbars. There is a
callback between the two axes so that a change in colormap in one
results in the same change in the other. Also as the colorbar is a
standard set of axes, the same tick markers can be applied to both.

In Octave the colorbar is part of the axis to which it is associated
rather than a separate entity. So to get the feature you want we have
two choices. We could add additional properties to the axis in addition
to the __colorbar__ property to allow the setting of the colorbar tick
properties. Or we could implement the colorbar as a separate set of axes
with a callback to the axis it is associated with to set the color. The
first would be relatively easy to implement, but means that the setting
of the colorbar tick properties would not be matlab compatible. However
the second seems quite tricky to get right and uses parts of the code
that Shai and Michael are modifying. So I'm not sure of the best
approach to get the behavior you are after.

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary