Re: test failures with current mercurial sources (was Re: 3.0.1 release?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: test failures with current mercurial sources (was Re: 3.0.1 release?)
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:35:33 -0400

On  3-Apr-2008, Ben Abbott wrote:

| I've never tried to run tests on any of the liboctave files. How might
| I do that from Octave's prompt? ... Specifically, "CMatrix.cc"?

These tests are normally run by the "make check" target.  To run them
from the command line, you need to have the directory that contains
the source file in the path, then run test Cmatrix.cc.

I've been thinking that it would be good to also allow these tests to
be run after Octave is installed.  At compile time, we could arrange
to move the tests to separate files, which would then be installed
along with the rest of Octave.  Then we could fix the test function to
also look in these files for tests.  For built-in functions, we would
probably want to allow the usual "test fcn" command work (the tests
could be moved to a directory containing files named FCN.test).
For other tests that are not clearly associated with a function, might
allow "test CMatrix.cc" to work (the tests could be moved to files
with names like CMatrix.cc.test).

Would this be worth doing?