Re: Behavior of mldivide in Octave relative to Matlab

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Behavior of mldivide in Octave relative to Matlab
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 15:26:59 -0400

On  8-Apr-2008, Marco Caliari wrote:

| I agree. Is it possible to define two built-in variables
| controlling the behaviour? This would make easy to change the behaviour of
| complex scripts.

It's possible but not desirable.  Octave used to include numerous
magic variables that affected parsing and run-time behavior and we
worked hard to remove them because then my code won't work properly if
you happen to have a different preference for the way things should
work.  We should go backward by adding new variables like this.
Instead, we should decide whether it is important enough for Octave to
have compatible behavior for this function.  If the alternative
behavior is also desirable, then we could provide a separate function,
or an optional argument to the mldivide function that provides the
other behavior.