Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project

From: Eugene I
Subject: Re: octave and LLVM google summer of code project
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

dbateman wrote:

> I presume that
>
> http://freemat.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freemat/branches/array-rework/FreeMat2/libs/libMatC/
>
> is where I should be looking for the latest versions of this code.

For JIT code I would suggest looking under trunk (same path to libMatC) or
under branches/Freemat4 (which is unstable branch for the next release).
Both work with llvm version 2.1.

Array-rework branch is experimental - we are trying to replace internal
array representation to make arrays easier to use in both interpreter and
JIT compiler. This branch is work in progress and probably doesn't compile
yet.

In JITFunc.cpp you would see several examples of calling internal FreeMat
functions. For functions that won't benefit from compiling we just call
internal FreeMat functions (same ones as interpreter would). Also, we
weren't brave enough to access C++ objects and functions inside JIT compiled
code, so we simply create C thunks for that (also in JITFunc.cpp).

dbateman wrote:

> I've always felt that Octave should profit more than it has from the
> FreeMat code and visa-versa. This looks like a good chance to put that
> into practice. Ideally we should get you to fix all the bug first ;-)

Same goes for the FreeMat team - we'll be glad to share (code, not the bugs
:). Also, there is a lot of work done by the Octave team implementing
toolboxes and we wouldn't want to redo this work.

Cheers,
Eugene