bug tracker [was: Re: t-value]

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: bug tracker [was: Re: t-value]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:02:15 +0200

Am Dienstag, den 29.04.2008, 09:37 +0200 schrieb David Bateman:
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> >
> > I have a couple comments about octave development.  Although I am a
> > small-fry contributor to open-source projects, mostly octave related,
> > I think I generally understand the process.  To maintain control, not
> > everyone is allowed to check code in directly.  That is fine.
> > Instead, there is usually a process where everyone can contribute by
> > submitting bugs, etc.  For octave this is done by submitting patches
> > (now changesets) to the lists.  JWE and others do a great job
> > responding appropriately and checking stuff in.  However, this is not
> > as transparent as it could be, and occasionally some submissions get
> > missed or forgotten, and the contributor doesn't always know the
> > status of his/her contribution (take this thread as an example).  I
> > prefer a web interface bug submission process where all can see and
> > keep track of the submissions.  I realize effort would be needed to
> > set up this type of system, but I think it is worthwhile.  What do
> > others think?
>
> Sure, I think we all agree.. The only issue is someone to do the work
> and having a bug tracker that transparent interfaces to mailed bug
> reports .. There was a trial Debian bug tracker for Octave set up
> recently. Check the thread
>
> http://www.nabble.com/Debbugs-bugtracker-testbed-for-Octave--to16046283.html

I think the current status is that Don Armstrong wanted to set a tracker
up if he has time, but I'm not sure.

> If you feel highly motivated by this issue, I think others here would
> cheer you on if you worked on this..
In case someone is really motivated: there has been no real discussion
whether debbugs is really suited for Octave's needs, so if you know
something better, by all means, go along with that.

        Thomas