Re: Yet another GUI releated thought

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Yet another GUI releated thought
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 23:04:17 +0200

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:

>  No, I mean a IDE similar to OctaveDE (sorry, bad choice of words on my
>  part). From what I understand your work uses a terminal, which has
>  difficulties being ported to Windows. Is this true, or did I simply
>  misunderstand things. But hey, if your solution works and is portable,
>  then that would be great.

I finally decided to try to port VTE to Windows. I could reach a point where
it's usable. It's of course not a real terminal (Win32 API does not have the
concept of pseudo terminal), but a regular pipe channel that allow terminal
communication. I had to use a few hacks to make it work and also
reimplement a few things, but it works fine enough to run octave in it
(which is the goal anyway; note that the emulation is not that bad,
because I could even run vi).

The only remaining problem is about the pager: octave pipes the data
to pager's stdin, and the pager (less in this case) captures key event
by reading /dev/tty directly. I'm not sure how to translate that in
Windows world: especially in the context of OctaveDE, where the GUI,
which runs in it own thread, is capturing key events.

Michael.