Re: trouble compiling on Mac

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: trouble compiling on Mac
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 12:38:15 -0700

On Thursday, May 22, 2008, at 10:40AM, "Thomas L. Scofield" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I am a would-be contributor trying to get up and going.  I have had
>running on an Intel Mac for some time.  Most recently I've been
>running ver. 3.0.0, with the operating system being OS 10.4.11.  I'm
>quite sure that, since having an Intel Mac, I've only obtained Octave
>in a universal binary form (.dmg file from SourceForge).
>
>This all began when I wanted to get Yaog.  When running the configure
>script, I got the error message
>
>    configure: error: Octave-config or mkoctfile not found! Check
>your octave installation!
>
>I thought that perhaps mkoctfile could not be found because I had not
>compiled from source and, even if that is not the issue, release
>3.0.1 is out, so probably I should be working with the most recent
>stuff anyway, right?  Moreover, I got interested originally seeing a
>need for more image functionality.  I have not kept up on the
>discussion surrounding imread/imwrite (time available for getting
>going on this had to wait until May), but what I gathered early on
>was that external libraries were generally thought the way to go on
>this.  So it seems to me I should be writing/modifying Octave code
>rather than just .m files.  Anyway, whether I am correct about all
>this or not, I decided to compile v. 3.0.1 from source, and that is
>where my immediate difficulties lie.
>
>I have some experience compiling from source, but mostly in linux,
>though even there I have stuck to debian-based distributions and used
>the apt package-managing system whenever possible.  On my Mac, I have
>generally stuck to using fink (or apt-get) or macports.
>
>On my first attempt to run the Octave 3.0.1 configure script, I got
>the message
>
>configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
>configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline
>
>So, I used apt-get to download and install readline v. 4.3.  However,
>subsequent runs of "configure" brought the same warning message.  I
>next removed the readline package, and downloaded the source tarball
>for readline v. 5.2, thinking perhaps that if the readline libraries
>were placed in a different (more standard) location, the configure
>script could find what it needed.  Though the readline installation
>(from source) went smoothly, it seemed not to have any effect on the
>results of "./configure" for Octave.  So, I next ran "./configure --
>disable-readline".  While I do not think I would have been happy with
>the resulting program (lack of editing and history) even if that had
>fixed the only problem, I received many new warnings
>
>configure: WARNING: command editing and history features require GNU
>Readline
>configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack
>of functionality for sparse matrices.
>configure: WARNING: COLAMD not found. This will result in some lack
>of functionality for sparse matrices.
> [...]

Hi Thomas,

I'm a mac (PPC and Intel), and I use Fink to manage my unix style apps.

I use Fink to build Octave from the most recent sources.

I recommend you ...

(1) Install fink (Mac OSX Debian equivalent)
        http://www.finkproject.org/download/index.php?phpLang=en
(2) Install Octave ("fink install octave")... this will take quite a bit of
time, as it will download, build, and install all the dependencies you're
looking for.
(3) Setup your own Mercurial archive
        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

At this point you have everything you need to build from source.

I've attached a pair of scripts I use to build and install Octave using Fink.
If you use these they should be placed in the directory containing your
mercurial archive. As they call the TextMate editor (using the script "mate")
you will likely have to modify them to work for you ...  In any event, they're
not pretty scripts, but do the job for me ;-)

There are other contributers using Mac OSX with other approaches. Perhaps
they'll offer some solutions as well.

Ben