Re: Latest from hg on OSX

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Latest from hg on OSX
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:40:23 +0200

John Swensen schrieb:
Has anyone got Octave to compile from the repository on OSX? I keep getting OpenGL errors. First I was getting a compile error that it couldn't find gl.h and glu.h. So, I tried to add CXXFLAGS pointing to either the OSX Framework or /sw/include/mesa. Either way, I get link errrors that it can't find all the opengl functions. I tried to use LDFLAGS to point to either the OSX framework of /sw/lib/mesa, but can't get rid of the link error. Any suggestions?

John Swensen

Hi John,

I'm running Octave with fltk/GL a few days now. It was a little bit tricky to make the fltk/GL libs working, but now I have a nice FLTK window displaying graphs.

I downloaded two new source packages that we need on MacOSX -> fltk 1.1.9 and ftgl 2.1.2. I compiled both from source against MacOSX's OpenGL libs.

For fltk I had to use the configure flags "--enable-shared --enable-quartz --enable-gl" - I also tried other flags but without better results. I also needed to remove the optimization flag "-ftree-vectorize" from my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS - with this flag the fltk/GL engine doesn't work. No changes necessary for LDFLAGS here. Once you have compiled fltk, make sure that in the fltk/test directory the programs gl_overlay and glpuzzle display the graphs - otherwise you won't have a chance to compile fltk/GL with Octave.

For ftgl I had to call "autoreconf" before "configure". I also needed to add "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS and "-framework OpenGL" to my LDFLAGS. Then the steps configure, make, make install work very well.

Finally, I also added "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS before configuring the Octave sources and "-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL" to the LDFLAGS. I must say here that I haven't tried to configure the Octave sources without these flags - I think I must check this out, ideally they should automatically be found by the configure script on a Mac system.

Once compiled everything, I had and still have a problem resizing the figure window, but I'm already in contact with Shai about that. I think there is still a bug in the fltk sources but I currently cannot really figure out the problem - so help is wanted ;)

But that's it already, all the sources are ok and can be compiled without error as long as the dependencies do work pretty. The window appears and display of the fltk/GL window is really great, thanks to Shai and Michael,

Regards,

  Thomas