Re: Latest from hg on OSX

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Latest from hg on OSX
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:43:15 -0700

On Tuesday, June 10, 2008, at 05:24PM, "Thomas Treichl" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Thomas Treichl schrieb:
>> John Swensen schrieb:
>>> Has anyone got Octave to compile from the repository on OSX?  I keep
>>> getting OpenGL errors.  First I was getting a compile error that it
>>> couldn't find gl.h and glu.h.  So, I tried to add CXXFLAGS pointing to
>>> either the OSX Framework or /sw/include/mesa.  Either way, I get link
>>> errrors that it can't find all the opengl functions.  I tried to use
>>> LDFLAGS to point to either the OSX framework of /sw/lib/mesa, but
>>> can't get rid of the link error.  Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> John Swensen
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I'm running Octave with fltk/GL a few days now. It was a little bit
>> tricky to make the fltk/GL libs working, but now I have a nice FLTK
>> window displaying graphs.
>>
>> I downloaded two new source packages that we need on MacOSX -> fltk
>> 1.1.9 and ftgl 2.1.2. I compiled both from source against MacOSX's
>> OpenGL libs.
>>
>> For fltk I had to use the configure flags "--enable-shared
>> --enable-quartz --enable-gl" - I also tried other flags but without
>> better results. I also needed to remove the optimization flag
>> "-ftree-vectorize" from my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS - with this flag the fltk/GL
>> engine doesn't work. No changes necessary for LDFLAGS here. Once you
>> have compiled fltk, make sure that in the fltk/test directory the
>> programs gl_overlay and glpuzzle display the graphs - otherwise you
>> won't have a chance to compile fltk/GL with Octave.
>>
>> For ftgl I had to call "autoreconf" before "configure". I also needed to
>> add "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS and "-framework
>> OpenGL" to my LDFLAGS. Then the steps configure, make, make install work
>> very well.
>>
>> Finally, I also added "-I/usr/X11R6/include" to my C-,CPP-,CXXFLAGS
>> before configuring the Octave sources and "-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL" to
>> the LDFLAGS. I must say here that I haven't tried to configure the
>> Octave sources without these flags - I think I must check this out,
>> ideally they should automatically be found by the configure script on a
>> Mac system.
>
>I checked it, "-I/usr/X11R6/include" is necessary, "-Wl,-framework -Wl,OpenGL"
>can be neglected for Octave.
>
>And I forgot to say that I also needed to compile a new freetype2 because the
>one that comes with OSX 10.4.9 is too old. Maybe this is not necessary with
>OSX
>10.5.2. No FLAGS necessary for the configure step of freetype2, it compiles
>fine.
>
>Regards,
>
>   Thomas

Thomas,

Might the current hg compile with fltk-aqua 1.1.7-1001? ... or is 1.1.9
required? ... perhaps fltk-aqua won't work either and I'll need fltk-x11?

If fltk-aqua 1.1.7-1001 is all that is needed, it should be a fairly simple
task to get the current hg version working using Fink for the dependencies.

Ben