Re: Thread-safe access to graphic objects - proposal

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Thread-safe access to graphic objects - proposal
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:40:23 +0200

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Michael Goffioul
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Speaking of Boost - Octave could benefit of many of the Boost
>> libraries: multiarray, math/special functions, math/statistical
>> distributions, uBLAS, serialization, filesystem,
>> numeric conversion, smart ptr, string algo, and perhaps more...
>>
>> If Octave takes the burden of dependence on Boost, then a lot code may
>> be rewritten to take advantage of it. For instance, the Array classes
>> can be based on multiarray, the ubiquitous reference counting can be
>> implemented using smart pointers, the special functions and
>> statistical distributions can be reused, system calls handled by the
>> system library ...
>> perhaps even the parser could eventually be rewritten using Spirit.
>> I'm not sure at this moment if Boost's portability matches (or
>> outmatches) Octave's - it would be a problem if it didn't, of course.
>
> You're talking about rewriting a large part of Octave. Do you really
> see this as a benefit...? ;-)

I was merely considering this. The Boost libraries have a reputation
to be well optimized, so there may be a benefit in terms of efficiency
(but who knows, really?) Also, it would be probably reduce Octave's
code base a lot - perhaps speeding up compilation. (OTOH, Boost is
largely template-based and templates compile slowly, so there could
even be a slowdown).
I intended my comment to be informational, not as an advocacy for Boost.

I also wanted to point out that the Boost license is now acquired as
Open Source.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert