Re: 3.1 status report

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: 3.1 status report
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:45:12 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> Is anyone interested in helping to move the control, finance, and
> quaternion functions into separate packages?

Sure I can take that one on. Is the goal to transfer these to octave-forge,
or make them packages that just happen to be part of Octave itself? It would
be easy to just transfer them to Octave as the machinery for packages is
already in place there. Though if we do this could we have a 3.0.2 release
and then an octave-forge release and then we can convert octave-forge for a
3.1 release including

* remove files like num2hex, imread, etc
* 3.1 compatible mapper functions for user types
*etc

and at the same time move the packages fro Octave

> Should we move the statistics, signal, and optimization functions to
> separate packages?

I thought the consenus was if we do, we should be careful of what functions
we move. Maybe we need to discuss all of the candidate functions to remove
from Octave and the reasons to keep each of them in Octave itself.

> I'd also like to start making snapshots again starting this week.  Is
> there any objection to doing that?  Unless someone has a better idea,
> I was thinking of starting the series of snapshots with version 3.1.50
> and making the next stable release 3.2.0.

Why 3.1.50 and not 3.1.1? not that it matters.

In any case the list looks a bit like a new feature list of the 3.2 NEWS
file. In that case maybe the compound operators and single precision type
should be mentioned as major new features. As for the single precision type
there are 3 things still to do

+ Treat conversion of NA values from single/double and R compatibility
- Convert methods like extract_row from derived Array classes to Array<T>
itself
- single precision versions of fsolve, dasrt, etc

I'll definitely address these before 3.2.0, but for now they can wait.

D.