Re: FTGL.h not found

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: FTGL.h not found
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:02:02 -0400

On 18-Jul-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 6:53 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
| > On 17-Jul-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
| >
| > | is it possible to simply support both 2.1.2 and 2.1.3? Or are they too
| > | incompatible?
| >
| > I don't think there is any code in Octave that specifically depends on
| > the newer version.  It's just a matter of making the configure check
| > do the right thing.  What's the best way to write the check so it
| > distinguishes between FTGL.h and ftgl.h?  I think by default, autoconf
| > would generate HAVE_FTGL_H for both.
| >

| I see no smarter solution than to introduce a new variable. Attached
| is a patch.

I applied this patch.

| Since there are now 4 cases, I guess we should also wrap
| all the #ifdefs in oct-ftgl.h. I'm just not sure whether it should go
| in liboctave/ or src/.

The funny thing is that the ftgl.h file is not actually included
directly in any Octave source files.  But we need to know about the
header file to write the test becuase it is in C++, so we have to get
the declaration right to find out whether the library exists with the
required functionality.  But looking at this, I don't see how it is
supposed to work to enable text.  Shai or Michael, can you explain?
How can simply linking with a library enable a feature?  Are we
missing some code to use the ftgl library and enable text?

Thanks,