Re: Graphics: Title and label properties

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Graphics: Title and label properties
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 21:34:21 -0500

Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Maciek Gajewski
<address@hidden> wrote:

Yes, taking 3D into account makes problem waaaay more complicated. So maybe
I'll start with auto-positioning for 2D, and then expand it to 3D.

I would have done the opposite and consider 2D as a special case,
so you have a complete view of the problem from the beginning.
But I guess it's a matter of taste.

Yes, I'd suggest working with 3D vectors.  Keep the viewing angle information
in some form.  (I suppose azimuth and elevation are one way, but not
necessarily unique.)  But then translate that into some form of rotation
matrix, call it R.  Then the translated position would be

y = R x

where R is 3 by 3 (or 2 by 3) and x is length 3.

Gnuplot sort of developed with 2D code and 3D code as separate entities.  That
caused a bit of a headache.

What is the status of the graphics handles and such?  Has it moved along and
will there be a need to build/verify a gnuplot backend any time soon?  Or is
the graphics handles still far off?  (I tuned out of the list for a while.)

Dan