Re: Octave 3.1.51 available for ftp

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: Octave 3.1.51 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:00:08 +0200

John W. Eaton schrieb:
A number of configuration problems that appeared in the previous
snapshot have been fixed.

Please remember that these snapshots are provided for testing
purposes.  I do not consider them to be Octave releases.  If people
think there will be confusion because of the version number, then we
can add a notice to the Octave startup message.  Changing the version
number to something like ss-2008-07-21 is not an option because it
will cause trouble with typical version comparison functions (for
example, that are sometimes used for building Octave Forge packages).

Hi John,

thanks for that snapshot tarball. As you mentioned before 3.1.50 did not configure well, dito on MacOSX, that's why I was not successful compiling the 3.1.50 sources and did not report back. 3.1.51 is much better and it compiles in the usual fine way.

There is one thing that I still don't understand when I compile the sources and maybe someone can give me a hand here: If I try to link liboctave then I get the following error (I know this since building 2.9.12 but I always thought that this may be a special problem of my machine?!):

  ld: Undefined symbols:
  _fftw_destroy_plan referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftw_execute_dft referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftw_execute_dft_r2c referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftw_import_system_wisdom referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftw_plan_many_dft referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftw_plan_many_dft_r2c referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib
  _fftwf_destroy_plan referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  _fftwf_execute_dft referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  _fftwf_execute_dft_r2c referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  _fftwf_import_system_wisdom referenced from liboctave expected to be defined
in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  _fftwf_plan_many_dft referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  _fftwf_plan_many_dft_r2c referenced from liboctave expected to be defined in
  /tmp/dependencies-i386/lib/libfftw3f.3.dylib
  /usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
  make[2]: *** [liboctinterp.dylib] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
  make: *** [all] Error 2
  solvedeps-3.1.51.sh: Building Octave.app has failed !!

My workaround for this is to apply a patch of the following form:

  --- octave-3.1.51.orig/src/Makefile.in
  +++ octave-3.1.51/src/Makefile.in

   OCTINTERP_LINK_DEPS = \
     -L../liboctave $(LIBOCTAVE) -L../libcruft $(LIBCRUFT) $(LIBS) $(FLIBS) \
  -  $(OPENGL_LIBS)
  +  $(OPENGL_LIBS) $(FFTW_LIBS)

   OCT_LINK_DEPS = \
     -L../libcruft $(LIBCRUFT) -L../liboctave $(LIBOCTAVE) \

then I can link liboctave.dylib without any problems left. Any ideas what may cause the above problem?

Now that I have another 3.1.51 i386 MacOSX Octave.app binary version should I make that available for download via SourceForge? I also have to say that it is not a clean build. I've taken the external libs and startup scripts from 3.0.1 Octave.app, extended these by FLTK, FTGL, GraphicsMagick++ and others and packed that again (there may still exist dependency problems on other machines)... I don't plan to make a PPC 3.1.51 but must check if 3.1.51 can be build against SDK 10.3.9 PPC which I think could become hard or impossible. If this is true then 3.1.xx PPC will only be available for OSX 10.4 or higher and Octave.app 3.0.x will be the last release which can be run on PPC 10.3.9...

Regards,

  Thomas