List of most highly used matlab functions.

From: David Bateman
Subject: List of most highly used matlab functions.
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:29:13 +0200

While looking randomly around I came across the web page

http://www.jmatlab.org/benchmark.html

that discusses the most used matlab functions as defined by Nick Higham.
It seems that the only matlab functions in this list of 111 functions
that are not in the core of Octave are

gallery, ezplot, bvp4c, fminbnd, fzero

If these are truly the most used matlab function by someone we can
probably consider as an expert to answer such a question, it probably
makes sense to try and have all of these functions implemented and
privilege them to be written next.

The gallery function could be written based on Nick Higham's toolbox at

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~higham/mctoolbox/

that is licensed under the GPL, though it might be a bit of work. Though
personally I don't have much interest in the gallery function.

As for the ezplot function I implemented all the other ez* functions 6
months ago, so ezplot seemed significantly harder to get correct due to
the multiple different fashions in which it could be called, and so I
didn't implement it at that time. I suppose I can look at getting this
function written as well.

As for fminbnd and fzero, they are both in octave-forge and appear to be
reasonably complete so perhaps we should port these to Octave itself.

There does not appear to be a bvp4c implementation for Octave anyway.
Anyone have something that might be used to write such a beast? Anyone
want to take on the work of write any of these 5 functions?

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only