Re: imread (repost)

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: imread (repost)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 03:30:29 -0500

Thomas Weber wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 05.08.2008, 12:43 -0500 schrieb Daniel J Sebald:

Bill Denney wrote:

I would expect to see the axis background color. If the axis background color is set to none, then I would expect to see the figure background color. I believe that if you set the figure background color to none in matlab, you see a cross-hatched pattern. When exporting, I would anticipate that the graphics backend would take alpha into account relative to the output device, so if the output was to ps or pdf, it would convert the background color to the color as visible on the screen.

I'm not saying that this is easy, just that-- to me-- the above is the right way to do it.

In my opinion, the right way is for PostScript to handle alpha
blending.  Wish it would.  It's the easiest place to implement such a
feature, i.e., at the last step just blend the contents together.

I'm not sure I understand, but Postscript seems to support an alpha
channel:
http://tug.org/PSTricks/main.cgi?file=Examples/Colors/colors#transparency

The code example needs a development version of pstricks.

The main problem is that most postscript _viewers_ don't handle
transparency, so one usually converts to PDF.

I'm not so sure this is what we want.  This pstricks implementation is
interesting.  There is the cross hatch fill that yields a good simulation of
transparency.  It isn't really blending.  The other examples with opacity are
sort of the right idea, but it isn't for an image, just fill shapes.  I see no
example with an image having an arbitrary fourth channel.  (I suspsect that is
because PostScript and PDF don't support that.)

Dan