Re: imread (repost)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: imread (repost)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:55:10 -0400

On  5-Aug-2008, John W. Eaton wrote:

| On  5-Aug-2008, Thomas L. Scofield wrote:
|
| | In Matlab:
| |
| |  >> im = imread('magnolia.png');
| |  >> whos im
| |    Name        Size              Bytes  Class    Attributes
| |
| |    im        480x640            307200  uint8
|
| Hmm.  that seems like a bug.  Or is it documented somewhere?  And waht
| version of Matlab are you using?  Can you send the image to me?
|
| |  >> [im, map, alpha] = imread('magnolia.png');
| |  >> whos im map alpha
| |    Name         Size              Bytes  Class     Attributes
| |
| |    alpha        0x0                   0  double
| |    im         480x640            307200  uint8
| |    map        250x3                6000  double

OK, I think I see what is happening here.  In both cases, im is the
same.  It's just that in the first case, you are not capturing the
colormap.  Still, I does seem odd that when only one output value is
requested, you are not getting an MxNx3 image, but maybe I just don't
understand how imread is supposed to work, or how the GraphicsMagick
image classifications correspond to those used by Matlab.

In any case, I think it would be best to implement the missing parts
of imread and imwrite in a Matlab-compatible way since I think that is
what most users will expect.  Likewise for imwrite.  I've done about
all that I think I can with these functions, and I don't personaly
need much more funtionality that the current code provides.