Re: Easy Wavelet capability added to Octave core software

From: Marc Normandin
Subject: Re: Easy Wavelet capability added to Octave core software
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:37:04 -0400

PattiMichelle wrote:
> I'm trying to begin to use Octave - I'm definitely a newbie - but it's
> lacking wavelet capability.  WaveLab is available for MatLab and I've
> hear Octave is very close syntactically, so I'm hoping that adding
> WaveLab to Octave can be added to the todo list.  (It's difficult for an
> Octave newbie to navigate getting a Matlab toolkit to work with
> Octave.)  Wavelets really are becoming important tools to have available
> and WaveLab appears to be written/used by some of the heavyweights in
> the wavelet biz.
>
> http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~wavelab/
>
> Thank You,
> Patti Sheaffer

Not to split hairs, but it appears that WaveLab is written to work in
Matlab, but is not part of it.  Inclusion of WaveLab (or some other
wavelet functionality) in Octave proper would offer additional utility
to the base system, but would come at some cost (size of the base
package, maintenance and support of WaveLab code, etc.).  Is WaveLab
important enough to include in the core program?  The commercial
alternative appears to think not...

This page is a bit dated, but may offer some helpful information.

  http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?WavelabOnOctave

Does that help any?  Are there specific errors that you're encountering
while installing/using WaveLab in Octave?

Please note that I haven't used WaveLab, so I can't vouch for it's
Octave compatibility.

Marc D. Normandin              http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mdnorman
Graduate Research Assistant                     address@hidden
Indiana University School of Medicine           317-278-9841 (tel)
Department of Radiology, Division of Research   317-274-1067 (fax)