fseek past end-of-file

From: Nils Smeds
Subject: fseek past end-of-file
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:58:56 +0200

I just happened to discover that the fseek() function in Octave does not allow to position the file pointer to a position beyond end-of-file. What is the reason behind this decision? Has it to do with Matlab compatibility.

Anyway I find this restriction irritating for a low-level function such as fseek(). In particular for parallel runs it may be necessary to move beyond the current end-of-file when there are many concurrent (non-overlapping) file writers.

/Nils