Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?

From: soren
Subject: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:27:33 +0200

Hi,
As I've recently announced a new release of Octave-Forge has just been made. Whenever I make these releases the same thought pops up in my head: "why does Octave-Forge even exist?". (This line of thinking is probably related to the fact the making the release is a painful experience... :-) ) Here are some of my thoughts/observations about the Octave/Octave-Forge relationship:

  * The Octave-Forge web site is fairly nice, while the Octave web site
    doesn't provide much information. Personally, I use the function reference
    on the Octave-Forge website quite a bit, and I also find the doxygen stuff
    useful. I don't see why this stuff isn't on the Octave website. However,
    maintaining the Octave-Forge website is plenty of work, so I'm definitely
    not volunteering for the job of also maintaining octave.org. So why not
    merge the websites into one?

* The Windows binary at Octave-Forge currently is the de-facto way of getting
    Octave on Windows. I really think this binary is a great feature, and I
    honestly think it should be hosted at octave.org, and be blessed as the
semi-official way of getting Octave on Windows. I don't know/understand the
    Mac situation, as it seems many people are also using Fink.

  * One reason for the Octave/Octave-Forge split is that the Octave mailing
    lists shouldn't be spammed with mails from people who have problems with
the Octave-Forge functions. These people should use the Octave-Forge mailing
    lists. However, this isn't really happening at the moment. Everybody just
    seems to use the 'help' octave mailing list.

* I think new users are confused by the split between Octave and Octave-Forge.
    I don't think we present the boundaries between the two projects very well
to new users. I'm guessing this is simply because nobody really knows these
    boundaries...

  * The Octave-Forge infrastructure (SVN, release management, servers and
    bandwidth, ...) are very nice to have available. But honestly, this
    infrastructure just isn't very good. Their servers are slow, and the
    release process is very painful.

Anyway, this mail is getting long (sorry 'bout that) so I'll stop now. But I'd like to ask: why are Octave and Octave-Forge two separate projects? Why don't we simply have http://packages.octave.org as a place for downloading add-on packages?

Søren