Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 17:55:08 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 27.08.2008, 11:41 -0400 schrieb John W. Eaton:
> On 27-Aug-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:
>
> | If you don't want that behaviour, don't install the package. The
> | package's documentation is totally clear about the package's effects.
>
> I must have missed the revolution.  When did people start reading
> documentation?

Hey, Octave ships a news() function; you must have some hope that it is
actually used.

> | > Perhaps Octave should warn about duplicate functions in the load-path?
> |
> | Why? Sorry,
>
> Some people might like to know that they are about to shoot themselves
> in the foot.

By noting that they are shadowing some functions? If you don't want
that, put packages at the end of the loadpath (no idea where they are
currently).

> | but if people install stuff blindly, the only sensible
> | resolution is shipping brain-1.0.0.
>
> If?  I think the proper word is "when".  So where can I find the
> brain-1.0.0 package?

Look in the documentation :)

Okay, seriously: is it really worth the effort to check the loadpath for
shadowed stuff? I actually think that's not an easy task: what if a
package shadows another package? The best way to check is probably when

        Thomas