Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: Merging Octave and Octave-Forge?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:37:53 -0600

On 8/27/08 address@hidden wrote:
From: "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden>
To: Thomas Weber <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

On 27-Aug-2008, Thomas Weber wrote:

| If you don't want that behaviour, don't install the package. The
| package's documentation is totally clear about the package's effects.

| but if people install stuff blindly, the only sensible

I have been following this discussion with some interest. I think part of the problem is that users are used to installing all of the octave-forge packages or non at all. Historically, octave-forge was a monolithic add-on. The shift to individual packages was a fantastic idea and was fairly well implemented. However, it seems that users still want to install what is now called the octave-forge "bundle" rather than individual packages, and this is made worse by the various distribution options (windows installer, fink on mac, various linux distributions, etc.).

I am not sure about a solution. I am tempted to suggest that the mainteners stop providing a bundled download option, but I think that would annoy a lot of users. Perhaps a better solution is to somehow make all the packages "unloaded" by default when installed from the bundle.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

Jonathan