Re: cd

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: cd
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 11:50:17 +0200

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Definitely not.  Running on Windows is not the ultimate goal.  After all,
>>> it is GNU Octave, not "Octave for Windows users".
>>
>> While running on Windows is not an ultimate goal, having a cross-platform
>> tool should be such goal. Ignoring Windows users means deliberately
>> cutting your potential users base. And I don't think that theses days
>> GNU is synonym for "not for Windows".
>>

> GNU's Not Unix, but it's not Windows either. I think John has a point
> noting Octave's GNU allegiance. GNU software should probably be
> primarily compatible with other GNU software. And GNU bash has always
> been clear about what "cd" does.

I fully agree about this specific "cd" problem: matching the windows
command prompt behavior is non-sense. Put my remark in a more
general context. Maybe I misunderstood John's statement, but it
sounded to me like "octave is not intended for Windows". I just wanted
to stress that cross-platform (whatever it is) should be a target, as well
as GNU compliance.

Michael.