Re: release 3.0.2 again

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2 again
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 20:54:28 +0200

Thomas Treichl schrieb:
John W. Eaton schrieb:
On 20-Aug-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| I've got bad news, I'm sorry for that. But the same '--path' option problem | still exists in 3.0.2 as in 3.0.1. Not always, ie. if I start up Octave with the | --no-initial-path option and also add a --path option then it works, in all | other cases --path does not work resp. the path is not added. | I can remember that this problem somewhen was solved (or was it just solved for | the default-branch, I can't remember anymore). Can somebody else please check | this, I don't think this is a Mac-only problem?!

Can you please provide a complete and precise description (including
the exact values of the arguments you are using, etc.) or point to a
previous bug report that includes this information?

Yes sure, sorry.

First of all I've to say that I cannot see this problem with 3.0.0 and I cannot see it in the current default-branch. It somehow appeared with 3.0.1 and I also thought that I somewhen saw it disappear - but I must gone wrong somwhow. I thought that my build scripts were broken, but I used the same scripts for building 3.0.0 as I have used for building 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 and the current default branch...

Now, by example, I startup Octave 3.0.0 with the --path option

  $ ~/bin/Octave.app.3.0.0/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
  --path ~/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval --quiet
  octave-3.0.0:1> which ieval
  ieval is the user-defined function from the file
  /Users/Thomas/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval/ieval.m
  octave-3.0.0:2> path
  Octave's search path contains the following directories:
  .
  /Users/Thomas/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval
/Users/Thomas/bin/Octave.app.3.0.0/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/share/octave/si
te/m
  <SNIP>

If I do the same with 3.0.1 or 3.0.2 then that path is ignored

  $ ~/bin/Octave.app.3.0.2/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
  --path ~/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval --quiet
  octave-3.0.2:1> which ieval
  which: `ieval' is undefined
  octave-3.0.2:2> path
  Octave's search path contains the following directories:
  .
/Users/Thomas/bin/Octave.app.3.0.2/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/libexec/octave/
site/oct/api-v32/i386-apple-darwin8.9.1
  <SNIP>

on the other hand, if I also use the --no-initial-path option too, then the current path and the path that I passed from command line are there (all Octave paths are not there, of course) - this can also be pure luck

  $ ~/bin/Octave.app.3.0.2/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
  --path ~/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval --quiet --no-initial-path
  octave-3.0.2:1> which ieval
  ieval is the user-defined function from the file
  /Users/Thomas/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval/ieval.m
  octave-3.0.2:2> path
  Octave's search path contains the following directories:
  .
  /Users/Thomas/tmp/Unfinished/Ieval
  octave-3.0.2:3>

Because ./run-octave uses the --no-initial-path option I cannot see this problem if I run the local ./run-octave script, with this script everything works fine.

Hi,

it took me a while (like always ;) but finally I found the origin of that problem. There has been a change to load-path.cc from Octave version 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 from

  static void
  maybe_add_path_elts (std::string& path, const std::string& dir)
  {
    std::string tpath = genpath (dir);

    if (! tpath.empty ())
      path += dir_path::path_sep_str + tpath;
  }

into

  static void
  maybe_add_path_elts (std::string& path, const std::string& dir)
  {
    std::string tpath = genpath (dir);

    if (! tpath.empty ())
      {
        if (path.empty ())
          path = tpath;
        else
          path += dir_path::path_sep_str + tpath;
      }
  }

With this new function the '--path' option from command line does not work anymore in 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 on my system. I replaced that new function in the 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 sources with the function from the 3.0.0 sources and recreated the binaries of Octave.app once again. Both (3.0.1 and 3.0.2) then accepted the '--path' option correctly.

Maybe this also addresses Vic's problem who found out another strange path problem at startup (but I'm not sure about this as I don't have any BBedit available)

  https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-August/010660.html

Could we revert the change of maybe_add_path_elts for the 3.0.3 version and use the 3.0.0 function once again?

Thanks and regards

  Thomas