Re: Question about shipping OpenSSL with octave binaries?

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Question about shipping OpenSSL with octave binaries?
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:24:44 +0200

Am Montag, den 01.09.2008, 10:04 +0200 schrieb Michael Goffioul:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if anybody has some hints about licensing
> problems regarding shipping OpenSSL with the octave binary
> package. I've read various things about possible incompatibilities
> between OpenSSL license and GPL [1], and I'm a little bit confused.

The best description I know of is
http://www.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html

The usual way around this is to add a "link exception" to the GPL'd
code. Probably won't work for Octave due to the sheer number of
copyright holders.

What do you need OpenSSL for? Maybe GnuTLS is the easiest way out.

        Thomas