Re: release 3.0.2 again

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: release 3.0.2 again
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 14:13:08 -0400

On 30-Aug-2008, Thomas Treichl wrote:

| Hi,
|
| it took me a while (like always ;) but finally I found the origin of that
| problem. There has been a change to load-path.cc from Octave version 3.0.0 to
| 3.0.1 from
|
|    static void
|    maybe_add_path_elts (std::string& path, const std::string& dir)
|    {
|      std::string tpath = genpath (dir);
|
|      if (! tpath.empty ())
|        path += dir_path::path_sep_str + tpath;
|    }
|
| into
|
|    static void
|    maybe_add_path_elts (std::string& path, const std::string& dir)
|    {
|      std::string tpath = genpath (dir);
|
|      if (! tpath.empty ())
|        {
|          if (path.empty ())
|         path = tpath;
|          else
|         path += dir_path::path_sep_str + tpath;
|        }
|    }
|
| With this new function the '--path' option from command line does not work
| anymore in 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 on my system. I replaced that new function in the
| 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 sources with the function from the 3.0.0 sources and
recreated
| the binaries of Octave.app once again. Both (3.0.1 and 3.0.2) then accepted
the
| '--path' option correctly.
|
| Maybe this also addresses Vic's problem who found out another strange path
| problem at startup (but I'm not sure about this as I don't have any BBedit
| available)
|
|    https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-August/010660.html
|
| Could we revert the change of maybe_add_path_elts for the 3.0.3 version and
use
| the 3.0.0 function once again?

It seems to me that the new version is correct because it only does

  PATH = PATH + SEP + TPATH

if PATH is not empty.  Otherwise, it simply sets PATH to TPATH.  Isn't
that the correct thing to do?  The previous version of the function
could result in

  PATH = SEP + TPATH

which I think caused some problems.  So I don't think that this is the
proper fix to the problem you are seeing.