mixed type operations in Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: mixed type operations in Octave
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:24:53 -0400

On  8-Sep-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| I'm working on a patch to improve integer arithmetics in Octave.

What do you mean by improve?  Make them faster?  I think that's OK,
but is it really worth the effort?

If you want to change the semantics so that they make better sense (or
at least are more like the semantics of similar operations in other
languages) then I think I'd have to vote no against doing that since
it will just be confusing for most users if integer operations work
differently in Octave and Matlab.  Also, while it might be tempting to
make mixed type operations work, it is a bit risky since whatever we
choose could end up being done differently in some future version of
Matlab.