single project funding possibility

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: single project funding possibility
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 12:55:06 +0200

hello,

the CZ.NIC company (maintainer of Czech national domain) organizes an
OSS promoting event, named VIP - Vyvijej, Inovuj, Programuj (Develop,
Innovate, Program). Individuals or teams may propose any open source
project.
Proposals should be made until 30th September. A committe will select
projects afterwards, and allocate funding up to 50000 CZK (2882 USD,
2059 EUR) for each project (max. 250000 CZK in total). Hey, we're not
the richest country out there, but it's better than nothing.
Payment will be done after completing the project to a contact person,
according to meeting the objectives. Taxes are payed by the donator.
The rules apparently do not restrict participants to be Czech citizens
(though probably the team contact person should better be, as he may
be needed to sign something in person).

The project website is
http://www.nic.cz/vip/
though they failed to provide an English version (it seems that the
whole event had been organized rather quickly).

CZ.NIC is a reliable company, IMHO. I would, of course, be the contact
person and handle other formal requirements, should there be any. I'll
do with the money whatever we agree to do (though you probably just
have to take my word on this).

So, if we can put up a reasonably small team (not "all Octave
developers" or something) and agree on a project, I can go ahead and
send the proposal.
What do you think?

PS
The website also contains example project proposals and expected
funding appropriate for such a project level:
(rough translations)

Generating detailed stats about web, dns and mail servers and their
props based on data from .cz domain zone file [45000 CZK]
Plugin for Outlook/Thunderbird addressbook, able to mark whether
telephone numbers are available via ENUM (dunno what ENUM is) [20000
CZK]
Software allowing user friendly VoIP and SIP config on series E phones
(in PC or in the phone directly) [15000 CZK]
DNSSEC library ldns bindings for Python [15000 CZK]
DNS server Unbound libs bindings for Python [20000 CZK]
Design and implementation of PKCS#11 client/server proxy (dunno what
PKCS is) [50000 CZK]

regards,

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek