Re: Sharing the savannah hg archive (was: Re: Savannah server unreliable

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Sharing the savannah hg archive (was: Re: Savannah server unreliable?)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:41:04 -0400

On 12-Sep-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| What about this:
| hg log --style changelog

That generates something similar to a ChangeLog, but it is not quite
right because it simply lists all the affected files followed by the
commit message instead of

        * some-file.cc (some_function): Description of change.
        * some-other-file.cc (another_function): Description of change.

etc.  I don't see how that can be generated automatically.  I think
we'd still have to write this info by hand as the commit message and
then use a custom output style as Michael suggested.

| In any case, I'm fine with dropping changelogs and autogenerating them.

Yeah, given the tools we have now, maybe it is time to drop them.  I
think the question is that if we autogenerate them from the commit
messages for tarball releases, how pedantic should we be about the
style of the commit messages so that they fit the style of traditional
GNU-project ChangeLog entries?