Re: fix null assignment

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fix null assignment
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:12:40 -0400

On 18-Sep-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:

| Apparently, Matlab never changes lhs if the index set is empty, i.e.
| it does not even reshape the matrix to row vector when you do A([]) =
| [] for a matrix A. An updated changeset is attached. With this, only 2
| tests are failing. These are caused by blkdiag relying on
| Matlab-incompatible behaviour. The second changeset addresses this.

Thanks, I applied both patches.

Maybe the second change would not be needed if we only performed the
empty-assignment-is-deletion operation for the specific literal "= []"
syntax, and not for any 0x0 array assignment.  As I recall, that's
what Matlab does, but it might require some work to implement
correctly in Octave.  For example, should the special syntax be
recognized directly in the parser, or should there be a special
representation for [] so that it can be recognized in the interpreter?