Re: Garbage Collection

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Garbage Collection
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 23:44:51 -0500

Forwarding to the Octave devs, since this is more of a dev question.

2008/9/21 Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert <address@hidden>:
> I would like to know what technique Octave uses for garbage collection.

Well, by the looks of it, it uses a combination of standard C++
practices (RAII, i.e. proper use of ctors and dtors), and sometimes
just manual reference counting for small things. Grepping the source
for "delete" shows both of these usages.

In other words, no garbage collection. I guess we could use boost for
smart_ptr and friends, but it seems to be fine as it is, and probably
we don't want to add a boost dependency to the build process.

Btw, on an unrelated note, I'll be visiting McGill by the end of this
week. Could you help me contact Laurie Hendren? I heard she favours
Octave and is a Science dean, which is almost exactly what I need. I
already emailed her, but got no response.

Thanks,
- Jordi G. H.