Re: 3.2.x

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: 3.2.x
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:12:50 +0200

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
Hi everybody,

I couldn't help noticing that the amount of work to port patches from
development to 3.0.x increased lately (though it may well be a
coincidence), as the code has diverged in many places. Perhaps it is
time to fork a fresh stable branch?
What do you think? Is the world ready for Octave 3.2.x? Is Octave ready?

The status report for 3.2 still has a number of points to address before a 3.2.x release in particular

  1. Objects:
        - Operator overloading vs. constant folding

  +. Handle block comments.  This is not quite finished as block
     comments inside [] or {}, and also in the group of comments
     following a continuation character, etc., are not handled.  See
     the FIXME comments in lex.l.

11. Graphics:
    Basically I believe we need to use the listeners, etc that were introduced
to make the newly added code useful. I have been working on this, bug have bugs
at the moment I can't trace down.

 Other tasks that should be considered before the release:

   * Document the graphics changes made by Shai/Michael as needed. (though I've
tried to do this a bit)

   * Document the object oriented stuff in a new chapter.

   * Document the use of private directories.

   * Document other functions that were ported from octave-forge (eg
     imread, dlmwrite, etc)

   + Update the NEWS file.

So, there are still a number of things to do, particularly in the documentation.
Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary