Re: 3.2.x

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: 3.2.x
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:08:14 +0200

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:22 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 22-Sep-2008, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
> | > Hi everybody,
> | >
> | > I couldn't help noticing that the amount of work to port patches from
> | > development to 3.0.x increased lately (though it may well be a
> | > coincidence), as the code has diverged in many places. Perhaps it is
> | > time to fork a fresh stable branch?
> | > What do you think? Is the world ready for Octave 3.2.x? Is Octave ready?
> | >

> | The status report for 3.2 still has a number of points to address before
> | a 3.2.x release in particular
> |
> |    1. Objects:
> |       - Operator overloading vs. constant folding
>
> There are a number of things that need to be done for the objects
> code, but I don't see that any of it is absolutely necessary for 3.2.
>
> |    +. Handle block comments.  This is not quite finished as block
> |       comments inside [] or {}, and also in the group of comments
> |       following a continuation character, etc., are not handled.  See
> |       the FIXME comments in lex.l.
>
> I think it would be nice to have block comments work everywhere, but
> no one really complains much about the lack of block comments in
> Octave, so having some limitations is OK by me.  It might make more
> sense to try to clean up the lexer (and to some extent, the parser)
> while doing this work.  So maybe it would be best left for a later
> release as modifications at this level could easily cause some trouble
> and delay 3.2.
>
> |  11. Graphics:
> |      Basically I believe we need to use the listeners, etc that were
> introduced to make the newly added code useful. I have been working on this,
> bug have bugs at the moment I can't trace down.
>
> I tried looking at the problem but couldn't find the source of the
> bug.  I'll try to take another look.
>
> |   Other tasks that should be considered before the release:
> |
> |     * Document the graphics changes made by Shai/Michael as needed. (though
> I've tried to do this a bit)
> |
> |     * Document the object oriented stuff in a new chapter.
> |
> |     * Document the use of private directories.
> |
> |     * Document other functions that were ported from octave-forge (eg
> |       imread, dlmwrite, etc)
> |
> |     + Update the NEWS file.
>
> Yep, as usual, the documentation needs work...

Hmm, as I know nothing about the first three (what are private dirs?
Is it OO-related?), I'll take a look at documenting some of the ported
functions.

Anyway, I don't think it's strictly necessary to have all the wanted
patches before the initial fork happens, we can just as well fork now
(or in near future) and transplant the patches later if they arrive.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert