Re: Mercurial with non-ascii usernames

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Mercurial with non-ascii usernames
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:24:52 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Soren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> fre, 26 09 2008 kl. 21:00 +0200, skrev Thomas Weber:
>> as some people seem to have trouble with the username in .hgrc:
>>
>> $ hg log | grep user
>> user:        Soren Hauberg <address@hidden>
>
> Just for the record: I'm so used to having a weird name, that I really
> don't mind being called 'Soren' (actually, most of the Americans I've
> met call me "Sean" as my name is kinda pronounced like that).
>  Experience have taught me that the 'o' in my name always ends up
> breaking some piece of software that don't support such weird
> characters, so I don't recommend actually calling me by my real name :-)

To add my two cents, my last name is actually "Hájek", not "Hajek",
but I avoid the diacritic whenever in international environment.

For those interested, acutes and carons were introduced into the Czech
language by Jan Hus <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Hus> in an
attempt to represent each sound by a single letter; until that time,
we used digraphs such as "cz" instead of "č". I bet he was convinced
he was doing the best for the language's future. If only he knew how
much trouble he would eventually cause us in the early computer age...

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert