Re: octave.org DNS problems (was: Another OOP issue)

From: dbateman
Subject: Re: octave.org DNS problems (was: Another OOP issue)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:11:19 -0700 (PDT)

John W. Eaton wrote:

> | PS: Sending through gmail to address@hidden consistently has DNS failures.
> | Can we dump the arsehole who poisoned the octave DNS record.
>
> Yeah, does anyone know if this is likely to go away after some period
> of time, or are we screwed until we find out which nameservers have
> the bad info?

The problem is that the poisoning could happen any on the upstream DNS
servers from where the request happens. finding which one needs patching is
a major pain. However, the problem with octave.org seems to be pretty
widespread so the first once to check that it is correctly patch is the one
serving octave.org. The caches of the downstream servers will eventually be
flushed and fix the issues.

I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of a lot of other sites suffering
these type of problems recently.

D.