Re: Private company and code salvation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Private company and code salvation
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 12:26:38 +0200

Olaf Till wrote:
On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 10:53:02AM +0200, David Bateman wrote:
Olaf Till wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but if a company distributes proprietary mex-source
code that compiles and runs with Octave, the company must surely claim
that this is accidental, and the code is intended for Matlab. If they
admit that the code is intended to run with Octave, they admit to
violate the GPL. If the company provides funding or other support to
Octave (wasn't this the original argument?) in order to keep their
code running, how can they claim the code is not for Octave?
Strictly speaking yes, but I'd like some sort of clear statement that this is a situation that the Octave developers understand and will take no action against the company in this case.

But I think this would help to circumvent the license of any GPL-ed
library Octave is, or will be, linked with.

Why? If we accept that the position that mex-file distribution as a GPL violation is indefensible due to the defense that Octave support is accidental, then it circumvents nothing that isn't already circumvented..

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary