Re: strings assignment fix

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: strings assignment fix
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 15:51:39 +0200

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:26 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On  1-Oct-2008, Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
>
> | Since my write access to savannah is now working, I've applied the
> | changeset myself.
>
> Thanks, I just had not gotten to the point of applying the patch yet.
>
> But since I've been using the archive on savannah as a mirror of my
> local archive, I wasn't actually expecting anyone else to write to it
> so I'm glad I noticed this message from you before I tried pushing to
> the archive or I would have been surprised to find that changes had
> been made to it.

I hope I didn't do any damage; however, I think mercurial by default
denies a push that would create multiple remote heads, just because of
this danger.

> However, I would like to move toward having multiple people writing to
> the archive, but perhaps with several different privilege levels.  For
> example, we may have some people who are savannah users who can only
> commit to the web pages, others who can only commit to the sources
> with approval, and others who can commit to certain portionns of the
> source tree without needing approval, and others who have global write
> access without needing approval.
>
> I don't think we can actually enforce rules like this other than by
> simple agreement.
>
> Also, we need to have a policy for what to do in case there are
> conflicts.  For example, I think that the series of changes in the
> public archive should be a simple linear set of changes.  There should
> never be more than one head in the archive, and, as much as possible,
> no half-baked changes and false starts.  I think those are things that
> belong in local archives on your development system, not in the public
> archive.
>
> But before we open up commits to everyone who joins the Octave project
> on savannah, I think we should discuss the policy here and then write
> it up and put it on the Octave web pages.

I'm all for that. The two changesets I pushed today seemed quite
harmless, so I decided to go ahead and maybe save you some work.

So you have already set up rule 1:

1. Don't create multiple heads (Mercurial warns if you're about to. So
don't use push --force)

now, what about:
2. Always try make & make check with at least one configuration
(trying multiple is of course out of most people's reach)
3. Small fixes may be pushed without approval; other fixes, extensions
or other modifications should be posted to ML for discussion &
approval.
(We can leave "small" vague or define it somehow).

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert